- DISTRIBUTION : Gir Forest in Gujarat Western India is the only wild habitat
- HABITAT : Dry deciduous and thorny forest and savanna.
- BEHAVIOUR AND FOOD HABIT : It is a social animal and lives in groups called prides. Males join in only to eat and mate. Prefer large prey species within a weight range of 190 to 550 kg.
- FOOD SERVED HERE : Buffalo boneless and meat Cattle contribute significantly to the lions diet.
- BRIEF DESCRIPTION :
1. BODY LENGTH- Varies from 170 to 240cm.
2. BODY WEIGHT- 160 to 190 kg in male and 110 to 120 kg in females.
3. BODY COLOUR - Fur colour ranges from ruddy-tawny heavily speckled with pelage of black to sandy or bluish-grey colour. Males have only moderate mane growth at the top of the head. Females lack the mane.
- LIFE-SPAN : 16 - 18 years in captivity
- THREAT : Habitat loss hunting and poaching.
- CONSERVATION STATUS : Scheduled I of W PAct 1972 IUCN Red List 2016 3.1 Endangered