- DISTRIBUTION : India Nepal and Sri Lanka
- HABITAT : This species inhabits a variety of forest types it is also noted in home gardens and coconut plantations.
- BEHAVIOUR AND FOOD HABIT : The species is secretive and largely nocturnal only rarely being seen active during the day. They are frequently found around large water holes. When startled the alarm call is a reedy grunt which is usually followed by a rapid dash into dense vegetation. They eat a variety of leaves and fruits.
- FOOD SERVED HERE : No
- BRIEF DESCRIPTION :
1. BODY LENGTH- 46 - 56 cm tail length - 3cm.
2. BODY WEIGHT- 3.1 - 3.8 kg.
3. BODY COLOUR - Dull brown in color with three or four dotted white stripes going longitudinally along flank.
- LIFE-SPAN : 14 years in captivity.
- THREAT : Habitat loss hunting
- CONSERVATION STATUS : Least Concern IUCN 3.1